Quick Mushroom and Zucchini Pasta
From start to finish this is one of the quickest zucchini recipes. It will only take you 20 minutes to prepare and cook.
These quantities will serve 2, or if you are only cooking for yourself, then you could leave the second portion in the fridge overnight to pop into your lunchbox for the next day. See the note after the recipe for an idea to use up the rest of the soft cheese.
- 8oz dried pasta shapes
- 1 zucchnini (courgette)
- 6-7 medium sized mushrooms
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 regular sized tub of Philadelphia cream cheese or soft cheese (preferably with herbs in...either basil or chives works best)
- 1 clove garlic (optional - crushed or finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Take the soft cheese out of the fridge, to warm slightly.
- Get the water on to boil in a large saucepan, ready for the pasta.
- Meanwhile wash and chop the zucchini into small cubes. Clean and slice the mushrooms. Peel and chop the onion.
- In a frying pan warm the olive oil gently over a medium heat, then add the chopped onion and fry gently for 2-3 minutes. Then add the zucchini and continue to cook gently for another 2-3 minutes.
- Check the water, once it comes to the boil add the pasta and keep an eye on it.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms to the frying pan, keep stirring.
- Once the onion is translucent and the mushrooms have shrunk a little, you are ready to add the soft cheese. This goes in as a lump, but keep stirring and it becomes softer as it warms through. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta when it is ready, shake all the water out and then tip it into the cream cheese and vegetables and stir well.
- Serve hot or cold.
Using up the rest of the cheese
This recipe calls for just half a tub of soft cheese. You could use the rest in the Cheesy mushroom paté recipe.