How would you cope?
How would you cope if the following amounts of basic food were all you were allowed for a week?
- 4 ounces bacon or ham
- 8 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces tea
- 2 ounces jam (jelly)
- 2 ounces cheese
- 8ounces of fat (only 2oz of which could be butter, the rest had to be margarine or lard)
- 1 fresh egg
- 3 pints of fresh milk (occasionally dropping to only two)
- 1 packet of dried milk (every 4 weeks)
- 1 packet of dried egg (every 4 weeks)
- 1 loaf of National Wheatmeal bread (not to everyones taste as they were used to white bread)
- 3 ounces of sweets or chocolate
The above list was supposed to feed one adult for a week. TheMinistry of Food published a number of leaflets with recipes to use.
Some foods were not rationed such as parsnips, which would you believe, were used as a substitute for bananas!
Things may not be that bad nowadays, but prices of the staple foods are going up all the time and it can be difficult sometimes to make ends meet. We can learn a lot from the frugality of the war years.