Honey and Lavender Cake Recipe
Created by Shirley Bates
This honey and lavender cake recipe was created by Shirley, my Mother, after a recent trip to an English lavender farm. Refreshments in the tea room included a slice of a similar cake and upon returning home she attempted to recreate it herself as she enjoyed it so much.
With the skills learned over a lifetime she was able to estimate how much of each ingredient to include and the cake came together beautifully. So much so that my Dad who says that he "doesn't really like sweet things" only left her one slice!
I asked her if she would kindly make another, this time jotting down the quantities and method she used so that I could share it with you.
Lucky for me, she made her second cake the day before I visited so I was able to photograph it before this one also disappeared! She did ask me to hurry though as the temptation to eat the slice I had cut was proving almost impossible to resist.
- 5 oz butter
- 2oz sugar
- 5oz S R flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoon lavender flowers
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 1oz icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons Lavender flowers
Making the honey and lavender cake
Temperature - Start by turning on the oven to preheat to a moderate temperature of 190oC, 2375oF or Gas Mark 5.
- Take the butter out of the fridge before you start to make your cake, to give it a little time to soften.
- Then place the weighed amount into a large bowl and beat it with a wooden spoon to soften it further. Add the sugar and cream the two ingredients together vigorously until they create a pale colored mixture.
- Take one tablespoon of the flour and add to the mixture. This will help to prevent the eggs from curdling when you add them.
- Break the eggs into a cup or small bowl then mix with a fork. Add them to the main bowl, a little at a time, mixing vigorously in between. Stir in the honey.
- Gently fold in the rest of the flour with a metal spoon.
- Stir in the lavender flowers.
- Tip the mixture into a greased medium sized loaf tin, or a 7-8 inch round cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean).
- Leave to cool.
Making the icing
- Boil some water and pour into a small bowl. Sprinkle in 1 teaspoon of the lavender flowers and leave them to "steep" for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the water into a jug, and discard the flowers.
- Place the icing sugar in the bowl and add a little of the flavoured water. Mix into a thin icing.
- Pour over the cooled cake and sprinkle with fresh lavender flowers to decorate