Easy Cauliflower Soup Recipe
This cauliflower soup recipe is quick and easy, and you can ring the changes by adding cheese or a dash of seasoning of your choice.
If you have never made a soup before, don't worry. You can't go wrong with this step by step method. However, if you have a bit more experience you might like to scroll down to the condensed instructions.
- cauliflower; 1 large
- onion; 1 large
- garlic; 2 cloves
- butter; 2oz (50g)
- plain flour; 2oz (50g)
- vegetable or chicken stock; 1/2 pint (275 ml)
- milk; 1/4 pint (150ml)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Step by Step instructions
Preparing the vegetables
Take your cauliflower and turn it upside down on a chopping board, then cut it in half. Run your knife around the heart (the solid white part) to free the florets from both halves. The heart and leaves can be reserved for stock making, if desired. Chop the florets into small chunks and put to one side.
Next, cut the onion in half vertically, from root to top. Peel off the outer skin and lay each half, cut side down on the board. Holding the knife on its side, parallel to the board, make a cut across the middle of the onion. Do nut cut all the way through the root end. Then hold the knife blade as normal, and chop the onion across into slices. Discard the root end when you reach it. You should end up with diced onions.
Take your cloves of garlic (cloves not whole bulbs!), and lay your knife on top of them, parallel to the board. With the heel of your hand, press down firmly on the knife, to crush the clove. Peel off the skin and discard. Roughly chop the garlic into small pieces.
Cooking your soup
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pan, on a low heat. Then add the vegetables and cook for 15 minutes until softened, but not colored. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon, and keep them warm.
- Stir the flour into the fat in the pan until you end up with a paste. Pour in the stock slowly, in stages, stirring constantly with either a whisk or wooden spoon. (If your pan is non stick, it is best not to use metal utensils.) You are looking for a smooth sauce to form; if you add the stock too fast you may get lumps that will be difficult to beat out.
- Once you have added all the stock, remove the pan from the heat and put the vegetables back in it. Stir so that all the cauliflower is coated in sauce. Return to the heat and then add the milk. Bring back to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, as is, or blend in a food processor or liquidiser first.
Concise method for this Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Prepare the cauliflower, onion and garlic, saving the outside leaves and heart for stock making.
- Sauté the vegetables in the butter on a low heat for about 15 minutes, until soft, then remove the vegetables from the pan and keep to one side.
- Form a roux by combining the butter and the flour. Add the stock, slowly, allowing the roux to combine in between each addition.
- Remove from the heat, add the vegetables and stir throughly. Return the pan to the heat, and add the milk. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes then taste and adjust.
Variation on the basic cauliflower soup recipe
Cauliflower cheese is a favorite so why not make a cheesy cauliflower soup? You can use cheddar, or a blue cheese such as Stilton if you want a little more flavor. Grate the cheese and add it when you add the milk. Continue simmering until the cheese melts into the soup. Ummmmm!
You might also like to add a pinch of cayenne pepper or mustard to your soup, to give it a little bite.